APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED
Are you a secondary school teacher with a passion for the environment? The Sir Peter Blake Environmental Educator Award is a partnership between The Sir Peter Blake Trust and the Ministry of Education.
This award promotes science, care for the environment, and professional development for inspiring and motivated teachers. In our true Sir Peter Blake spirit, we send you to sea to experience some unique and challenging environments, and connect you with scientists and experts.
What will I be doing?
This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity allows one teacher each year to be an Educator at Sea on board a Young Blake Expedition, attend our Youth EnviroLeaders’ Forum, and spend a term working full-time with us at the Trust. During that time you’ll create environmental education resources.
What does the award cover?
- An Educator at Sea berth on a Young Blake Expedition
- Teacher release costs paid to your school
- Associated travel costs
What will be expected of me?
- Develop learning resources and units of work based on your experiences with us
- Mentor for students involved with the Trust
- Be a champion of the award in your school, community, and the media
- Develop environmental education networks and promote the Award
- Pass all medical and other clearances required by us and our partner organisations
What about my school/job?
Your school needs to be 100% supportive of your application. They’ll need to be excited about promoting environmental education throughout the school for the year. We’ll pay for teacher release during your commitments with us so your role can be covered during that time.
You’ll travel during your time with us. First you’ll join the year’s Young Blake Expedition, spend a full term with us and be part of our Youth EnviroLeaders’ Forum. This will include time spent at the Sir Peter Blake Trust office in Auckland.
Want to apply?
To be considered for this award you’ll be:
- Available at the dates and locations specified above
- A New Zealand citizen, resident or permanent resident
- A fully registered, permanent full-time employed secondary school teacher, in at least your third year of teaching the NZ Curriculum
- Experienced in teaching science, geography, or another environment-related field
- Fully supported by your Principal and Board, who’ll be willing to have a school-wide focus on environmental education for the year
- Passionate about the environment
- Brilliant at developing engaging, inspiring learning resources
- Fit and healthy
Applications close 24 July, 2017.